RE: [council] Adopted Board Resolutions, 25 January 2011

Hello Mary,

>>  (1) With respect to the Topics to be discussed at the meeting, the Board's
>> resolution in Cartagena noted that issues such as trademark protection, root
>> zone scaling and mitigating malicious conduct have been sufficiently
>> addressed and "substantially reflect the negotiated position of the ICANN
>> community". The resolution also goes on to state that "ICANN will take into
>> consideration public comment including the advice of the GAC". Is it the
>> Board's intention to continue discussion in Brussels over these issues
>> despite the December resolution, given that the GAC communiqué seems to
>> treat them as open issues? If so, how does the Board intend to draw the line
>> between re-opening the issues and closing remaining specific concerns?

Some good questions.  Here is my PERSONAL take:

- the guidebook that was published in Nov 2010 was based on the current balance
between the various interests on particular issues.  It is not perfect for
anyone.

- the public comment period on the guidebook was extended into January, and any
useful improvements to the "balance" will be considered by staff and
incorporated into the final guidebook.

- the Board is meeting with the GAC to understand where the GAC does not
believe that the Board has taken their advice.  The Board/staff will show how
the advice has been taken into account in the current version of the guidebook.
  If the GAC still does not believe that their advice has been heeded, the
Board and GAC may discuss how the GAC advice could be taken into account in
such a way that the interests of the overall ICANN community continue to be
balanced.

- any significant changes that are proposed after the Brussels consultation
will likely be discussed with the community in Brussels, prior to any formal
Board approval

- the hope is that after the Brussels consultation that the number of open
issues with the GAC will be substantially reduced.  Thus the focus in Brussels
will be to work with the ICANN community to see if it is possible to make
further changes that are mutually agreeable between the GAC and the rest of the
ICANN community.

>>  (2) With respect to the "subject matter experts" and non-ICANN Board or
>> staff members who will be at the Brussels meeting (presumably at ICANN's
>> expense), how and when will these people be identified? Will the
>> community be consulted as to who they should be?

The only ones I am aware of could be some of the economists that ICANN used to
provide advice on vertical integration.  Such experts may simply be consulted
via audio conference if necessary.  I am not aware of any new subject matter
experts being identified.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin