RE: [council] ICANN Board Votes to Enhance New gTLDs Competition

  • To: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] ICANN Board Votes to Enhance New gTLDs Competition
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 17:57:31 -0500
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I was sure that the Bylaws said that also, but all I can find is in Section 2: "Except as otherwise defined in these Bylaws, the four Stakeholder Groups and the Constituencies will be responsible for defining their own charters with the approval of their members and of the ICANN Board of Directors."

The RrSG does say "2.1. Eligibility - Only ICANN Accredited Registrars are eligible for membership in the Registrar Stakeholder Group ("Members"). In keeping with the selective membership criteria of other GNSO constituencies, the Registrar Stakeholder Group represents the interests of a specific sector, specifically those of ICANN Accredited Registrars. Therefore to avoid conflicts of interest, this typically excludes entities whose primary relationship with ICANN is as a TLD Registry Operator." but it is not clear how one would determine "primary relationship" in the future.

I can find no such prohibition in the RySG charter.

Regardless, if we stick with the current organization (and I am not sure anyone has the stomach to change again now), it will be interesting.

Alan