Re: [council] AoC RT Endorsement Process, Motion, and Amendments

Hi Chuck

On Jun 13, 2010, at 4:48 PM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> I personally support the motion as proposed because I think the required
> threshold of 60% of each house for any additional candidates provides more
> than enough protection to ensure SG support.  That would require 5
> affirmative votes for the CPH and 8 affirmative votes of the NCPH, so no SG
> could control the vote, not even with the NCA vote.  With that protection, it
> seems problematic to add more complexity to the process.
>
> At the same time, if there are those who cannot support the original motion
> as is, I think I could support a modification that would do the following:
> 1.       If the Council decides to try to improve the diversity of the pool
> of GNSO endorsed candidates, they would first consider those alternate
> candidates proposed by the SGs, if any.

Wouldn't we do this anyone as a matter of courtesy and common sense without
codifying it?  If there's a pool of 8 candidates and SGs have come to internal
agreement that they could support persons x y and z, presumably their reps
would indicate that when the conversation begins and we'd commence talking
about x y and z before moving on to the five nobody had yet preferred.  Would
anyone really say well, your SG may like Ms. x but I refuse to talk about her
and insist we start with someone nobody's said they favor?

> (One flaw with this as Bill noted in our meeting last week is that an SG
> could submit all remaining candidates as alternates.)

After I said that, somewhat in jest, Kristina specified in the amendment,
"notify Council of one or two additional candidates whom it could support, if
available."

> 2.       If the Council is unable to approve any additional candidates to
> improve diversity of the pool using only  SG proposed alternates, then they
> could consider the entire set of candidates requesting GNSO endorsement.
> 3.       I would add one new wrinkle to this: SG’s should only propose
> alternates that are of a different geographical location or gender than their
> primary candidate.  In fact this would probably be a useful amendment to the
> original motion.

I'd favor that, but not if it's tied to prohibiting the Council from even
considering people who were not so designated.

> What the IPC is proposing is that only applicants that SGs have previously
> designated as acceptable back-ups could even be considered by the Council for
> this purpose.

> [Gomes, Chuck]  I didn’t understand it as this restrictive.  I thought
> Kristina said that the SG alternatives would be considered first; then if
> that didn’t result in a successful resolution, other candidates could be
> considered.

That's what you suggested as an alternative.  Kristina's text says
> 3.  Change third bullet of #2 to read:  Each stakeholder group is encouraged
> to (a) identify in its internal deliberations and (b) notify Council of one
> or two additional candidates whom it could support, if available, in the
> event that the diversity procedure outlined in item 4 below is utilized.
>

> 4.  Change the now-third sentence of point 4 to read: If, however, the list
> does not meet the above mentioned diversity objectives, the Council as a
> whole may choose to endorse up to two additional candidates, from among those
> identified by the stakeholder groups under item 2, who would help to give the
> list of GNSO nominees the desired balance.  If consideration of these
> additional stakeholder group-identified candidates does not meet the
> diversity objectives, the Council may refer to the GNSO applicant pool to
> identify these additional candidates.

So anyone in the applicant pool who has not been specifically endorsed for
possible consideration could not be considered.

Best,

Bill