RE: [council] Meeting Protocol for Brussels and beyond...

Adrian,

I have intentionally been delaying commenting on this subject for at least two
reasons: 1) I first wanted to make sure I could speak on behalf of the RySG
membership that I represent and not just share personal thoughts, so I raised
the issue on the RySG list and have been watching the discussion there; 2) I
also wanted to watch the Council discussion for awhile to get a sense of what
various Councilors thought about this subject before I commented in my role as
Chair.

There has been quite a bit of discussion on the RySG list and it has been very
consistent.  RySG members are opposed to closing off the meetings and not
allowing observers to participate.  At the same time they recognize the need
for good management of open sessions and support steps in that regard such as
Council seating arrangements, name tags, etc.

It might be helpful to look at some history regarding open meetings.  I think
the new gTLD PDP serves as an important element of GNSO history in this regard.
 Before I was even on the Council, it was decided to use the Council as a Whole
approach instead of forming a Task Force but to do that in a way that allowed
broader participation than just Councilors.  Bruce as Chair of the Council led
the PDP effort and from beginning to end, over a span of more than 1 ½ years,
participants involved Councilors and others who were willing to commit the
time.  We had a lot of in-person meetings including long sessions on weekends
in conjunction with ICANN International meetings and, at all of those sessions,
attendance and participation were open to everyone who showed up.  Moreover,
even though we were tackling one of the toughest tasks ever, we succeeded in
producing supermajority recommendations.  The results were not perfect and we
are still working on their implementation today, but it really was a huge
accomplishment.  Bruce, and toward the end when Bruce joined the Board, Avri,
are to be commended for their excellent leadership and all of the community
participants, Councilors and non-Councilors, are to be complimented as well.

I believe it was during the new gTLD PDP that the trend toward open WG sessions
was expanded to include nearly all GNSO meetings on the weekend.   And in my
personal opinion as well as the view of the RySG, that has worked very well.
It has not been without challenges and certainly can be improved, but it fits
the bottom-up process that we are supposed to follow very well.  It also meets
the Board recommendation that the GNSO Council should not be a legislative body.

Another point that is important is this: From the time that weekend working
sessions were started until now, it was always made clear that these were not
official Council meetings and that no business would be directly done.  We
always reserved business for the Open Council Meetings on Wednesdays or for our
regular teleconference meetings.

I believe that two people on the Council have supported Adrian's suggestion for
making the weekend working sessions more closed: Adrian and Mike.  (If others
have done so, I apologise and note that it is still early for me and I have not
read all my email today.)  Another Board recommendation is that the GNSO
Council should improve its representativeness of its stakeholders.  In light of
that, I would like to ask Adrian and Mike and any others who have expressed
views on this issue, regardless of the views, to answer this question: Do the
positions you have communicated represent the views of your Stakeholder Groups
or are they primarily your personal views?  Besides the representativeness
concern, I ask this question because over the years I have observed excellent
contributions from non-Councilors from every Stakeholder Group and Constituency
including lots of contributions from members of the RrSG and CBUC.  I think it
would have been a loss if those had not been allowed in the process.

Finally, let me suggest a word of caution.  Each of us as Councilors has our
own personal, business and/or professional interests with regard to GNSO work,
otherwise we probably would not volunteer so much time.  That is as it should
be but I think we need to be careful that we are not perceived to be using our
Councilor role as a platform for promoting those interests.  I am not
suggesting that anyone is, but I do believe that in taking a stance of making
the GNSO working sessions more closed, some may perceive us that way and we may
be seen as elevating ourselves above others in the community who also have
their own personal, business and professional interests, just because we are
Councilors.

I apologise for such a long message.  Speaking in my role as Chair, I recommend
that we continue to not only allow open participation in our weekend working
sessions but that we encourage it but that we do so in a way that is well
managed and effective.  And I commit myself as Chair to provide the leadership
needed to make that happen with help from all of you.  As first steps in that
regard, I would like to ask Glen to prepare 2-sided name tags for all
Councilors and participating Staff members for our meetings in Brussels and I
along with help from Glen, Stéphane and Olga will do our best to make sure that
there is room for all Councilors at tables where we and other participants can
readily see and converse with one another and observers.

Thanks to everyone for the excellent dialog on this topic.

Chuck