Re: [council] FW: Proposal to form a Joint ALAC - GNSO WG "to develop a sustainable approach to providing support to applicants requiring assistance in applying for and operating new gTLDs" in response to the ICANN Board Resolution 20 at the Nairobi Meeti

Hello,

NCUC/SG has been having a rather lively debate on pricing and developing
countries and there is a group forming that wants to look into this.  Quite a
few people have expressed interest in participating.  Not clear whether it'd
make sense for all of them to directly join the joint GNSO-ALAC effort or if we
should run a parallel activity with a few representatives serving as
connectors, TBD.  Either way, there's definitely interest from our side....

Best,

Bill

On Mar 20, 2010, at 2:41 AM, Bruce Tonkin wrote:

> Hello Chuck,
>

>> This is interesting Bruce.  I had no idea that this motion was talking
>> about financial support;
>
> Well the focus of much of the public comment has been for the Board to
> reduce the application fees for developing countries.
>
> The Board instead is saying that there are other ways of solving the
> issue of participation - and left it open for the community to put
> forward some proposals.   It was my input (which I also stated during
> the Board meeting) - that it is not just financial support that may
> help, but also support in terms of resources.   I gave the example that
> in the past, many smaller ccTLDS used secondary nameservers operated by
> larger ccTLDS in developed countries at no cost.
>
> Regards,
> Bruce Tonkin

William J. Drake
Senior Associate