[council] FW: ICANN Signed Affirmation Agreement

  • To: "adiel@xxxxxxxxxxx" <adiel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "secretariat@xxxxxxx" <secretariat@xxxxxxx>, "louie@xxxxxxxxxxx" <louie@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "ccnso-council@xxxxxxxxx" <ccnso-council@xxxxxxxxx>, "ccnso-members@xxxxxxxxx" <ccnso-members@xxxxxxxxx>, "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "liaison6c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <liaison6c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "alac-annnounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <alac-annnounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ssac@xxxxxxxxx" <ssac@xxxxxxxxx>, "Suzanne_Woolf@xxxxxxx" <Suzanne_Woolf@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] FW: ICANN Signed Affirmation Agreement
  • From: Denise Michel <denise.michel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 14:13:26 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Cc: ICANN Policy Update <policyupdate@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Forwarding email to ensure delivery to ASO, ccNSO, GNSO, ALAC, RSSAC, SSAC.
Please share with your community members as appropriate.

Thank you.
Denise Michel
VP Policy
ICANN

===============================

Dear ICANN Community Members:

It is my pleasure to inform you that ICANN has signed a permanent "Affirmation
Agreement" www.icann.org <http://www.icann.org>  with the U.S. Department of
Commerce that replaces the "Joint Partnership Agreement," which expired on 30
September 2009. This permanent agreement between ICANN and the U.S. Government,
which was approved by ICANN's Board and signed by me, affirms our mutual
commitment to ICANN's bottom-up, consensus-driven model and oversight by the
global Internet community.

Details of the of Affirmation Agreement can be found on ICANN's homepage, but I
wanted to call your attention, in particular, to the important role ICANN's
Supporting Organisations and Advisory Committees have in ICANN's future. Under
the Agreement, SO and AC representatives and ICANN's international stakeholders
are recognized reviewers who can formally hold ICANN accountable.

For example, from paragraph 9.2 of the Affirmation, with bold added for
emphasis:
 The review will be performed by volunteer community members and the review
team will be constituted and published for public comment, and will include the
following (or their designated nominees): the Chair of the GAC, the CEO of
ICANN, representatives of the relevant Advisory Committees and Supporting
Organizations, and independent experts. Composition of the review team will be
agreed jointly by the Chair of the GAC (in consultation with GAC members) and
the CEO of ICANN.

This is another step in an amazing trajectory of the Internet's role in
encouraging openness, innovation, commerce and freedom. I, along with ICANN's
Board and Staff, look forward to working with you to implement the Agreement.

We appreciate your support in bringing ICANN to this important new step in its
history.

Warmly,

Rod Beckstrom
President and CEO