RE: [council] Rodenbaugh Comment re GNSO Restructure Amendments to ICANN Bylaws

  • To: <gnso-council-draft2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Rodenbaugh Comment re GNSO Restructure Amendments to ICANN Bylaws
  • From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:37:14 -0700
  • Cc: "'Council GNSO'" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Adrian,

Of course I am not ignoring you, I've had a busy work week.

And of course I was not criticizing you personally, only pointing out the
fact that there is much amalgamation between registrars and registries, as
has been demonstrated by their Council reps.  I could also have referred to
another registrar Councilor whose company is actively engaged in ccTLD
registry businesses.  (Hi Tim! ... but he's not a CEO yet, so not quite as
sexy an example.)

I refer to the Contracting Parties' "effective stranglehold/veto" because
under the current and future system, the Contracting Parties have much more
alignment in their interests and in their positions than do the Commercial
Users and the Non-Commercial Users.  It obviously has been far harder for
the non-contracting parties to come to any agreement among themselves, than
for the contracting parties, on almost every issue in the history of ICANN.
Hopefully, that will decrease as NCUC becomes more diverse in their
representation and interests, and the balance of power between commercial
and non-commercial interests is evened -- but that remains to be seen.

Based on the very clear trend over the past few years, the contracting
parties are likely to become more aligned in the future rather than less.
When they vote together, there is little anyone can do to stop whatever they
want, except with unanimous opposition among fragmented and historically
unaligned parties.  The "double voting" compounds this as contract parties
need to get just six people to a vote, while the non-contracting parties
have to get twelve unanimous votes just to counter them -- which I believe
has never happened before, and probably will be less likely to ever happen
in the future given the shift in power in that "House," from 9/3 to 6/6.

Chuck mentioned a few examples that he says show unaligned interests among
Contracting Parties, but I do not agree with several of those, including
WHOIS and PEDNR.  Perhaps I need to understand better, and would love to
hear any further explanation.  Perhaps RrC and RyC have voted differently a
few specific times, but generally their interests are aligned on almost all
issues.  If policy development might conceivably change the way contract
parties do business, they generally fight like hell, together, to prevent
it.  I've seen it too many times to count.  We've had exactly one policy
development in three years that changed business methods -- wrt domain
tasting.  I also think any "unaligned" instances will become much fewer and
farther between, under the new system and as industry amalgamation between
registrars and registries likely increases.

I also do not recall a single example of the RyC Councilors ever voting
individually rather than in a block, though Chuck says an instance may be
coming, and I'm sure he'll remind me if I'm forgetting something else.  The
new RyC charter, by Chuck's description, sounds unacceptable on this point
since the RyC can still force its Councilors to vote in a block, and
typically always has done so in the past.  Yet I would be remiss to not
point out that the BC has had the same rule forever, and we have not changed
it in our new Charter.  But we have not and will not have anywhere near the
level of power as the RyC, we will have 1/3 their power.  Also we have voted
differently in the past when there was not an adopted BC position on point.
Also, I would prefer we eliminated that requirement in the BC, for the same
reasons I think it should be eliminated in the RyC or anywhere else.

It is important for the Contracting Parties to have the same number of
Councilors as the Non-Contracting Parties, so there is more hope of greater
diversity of opinion, demographics and geography, as well as ultimate
consensus.

Avri, I don't have facts to back up that assertion about individual vs.
commercial reg fees.  But commercial interests include domainers and
brandholders, who average several hundred (more likely, well over a
thousand) domain names apiece.  I know at least a dozen domainers (including
a bunch of ICANN accredited registrars) that have over 100,000 registrations
each.  I know at least 25 major brands that have over 20,000 registrations
each.  And that's just people I know personally.  I don't know any
individuals who own more than two, and I know of dozens of free hosting
sites, social networks, communication tools and other ways that individuals
communicate online without need of a domain name.  Also, we're talking
gTLDs, and many individuals must gravitate towards ccTLDs because the good
gTLD names have consistently been snagged by commercial interests (and
registrars) for many years now.  Stats in this area would be useful for
policy development, particularly PEDNR, IRTP and WHOIS, but relevant data
could only come from the Registrars (or some sort of big ICANN study), so I
will not hold my breath waiting for it to appear.

I am happy we are having this discussion.  I am not trying to "tirade", but
merely put my beliefs into the open as you all know I have a habit of doing
(perhaps sometimes too directly) -- as I feel I've been elected to do.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Rodenbaugh
Rodenbaugh Law