Re: [council] Draft GNSO Council Special Meeting Minutes of 9 July 2009

Hi Glen,

Sorry, it's summer, I'm a bit behind, and just happened to look at the draft minutes for the 9 July meeting. I noticed this bit toward the end:

"Bill Drake, drew attention to the disagreement among the NCUC members with regard to the Non Commercial Stakeholder Group model, currently open for public comments, which disregarded previous public comments. http://gnso.icann.org/en/improvements/ncsg-proposed-petition-charter-22jun09.pdf "

This is poorly phrased and not what I said. There is no "disagreement among" NCUC members regarding the charter issue (except for on the part of the one out of our 100+ members) and I made no reference to this. Instead, NCUC members "disagree with" the SIC/staff version of the NCSG charter.

Puzzled, I just went back and listened to relevant bit of the tape. Below is a formulation that reflects what I actually said.

"In response to a staff plea for public comments on the proposed SG charters, Bill Drake drew attention to NCUC members' strong disagreement with the SIC/staff version of the NCSG charter. He noted that there had already been a public comment period in which dozens of organizations supported the inclusive charter model proposed by NCUC and rejected an alternative constituency-centric model. Nevertheless, the SIC/staff version disregards these comments and NCUC's work in favor of a constituency-centric model. Since NCUC's members and external supporters have already rejected the SIC/staff approach, he questioned whether it is really necessary and practical to go back to all these parties and ask them to re-state their positions when the forthcoming staff synthesis could simply refer back to their prior statements.

It's a small matter of local concern, but I would prefer not to be substantially misquoted in an official record and would like it replaced with the correction above.

Thanks,

Bill