Re: [liaison6c] RE: [council] Board action on GNSO Restructuring

  • To: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [liaison6c] RE: [council] Board action on GNSO Restructuring
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 10:14:27 -0400
  • Cc: Denise Michel <denise.michel@xxxxxxxxx>, liaison6c <liaison6c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, alac-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

On 21 May 2009, at 13:23, Tony Holmes wrote:

I think it would be very difficult for a new Council to start with many new members on a Council teleconference. Ideally that should occur at a physical meeting to enable those people to actively engage from the start and Council to maintain momentum.

I think this is right. It might make sense for the plan to seat the new council at the Seoul meeting.

A possible schedule would be driven by the travel budget requirements - i.e. all new council members should be known by the time the travel process begins. Staff could give us that date. The travel folks might even know it already.

We can work back from there to when SG selection processes would need to complete in order for the new members to be processed for travel.

And back from there to when the SG charters and by-laws are approved.

The sat/sun could be used for a face to face meeting time for this new council including getting to know each other time. Perhaps they could also participate in calls between the time when they are selected and the time when they take their seats so there is some overlap between old and new. And finally, funding permitting, perhaps both the old and new council could participate in the Seoul meeting to form a smooth fade-over.

Alternatively if the new council can be picked as early as July/ August, an out of band extra meeting could be scheduled. But the scheduling and funding aspects of that would concern me. On the other hand, if we consider that the charters for the SGs have yet to be rewirtten by staff, approved by the SIC, then floated for comment among the GNSO and commity, before being finalized, I personally think late summer is the earliest SGs would be ready for council member selection. And this is assuming all of the SGs are wiling to live with what the Staff+SIC produces in terms of charters.

I do think the council should try to develop its own timeline, one we can live with.

a.

a.