[council] Friendly amendments to motion on Whois service tools

  • To: "GNSO Council " <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Friendly amendments to motion on Whois service tools
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 08:38:34 -0700
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Given the current load I'd to make the following friendly amendments to
the Motion on Producing Synthesis of Requirements for Whois Service
Tools:

Add the following as a sixth part of the Whereas:

and, the GNSO accepted the recommendation of the IRT-A Working Group to
encourage staff to explore further assessment of whether IRIS would be a
viable option for the exchange of registrant email address data between
registrars and conduct an analysis of IRIS' costs, time of
implementation and appropriateness for IRTP purposes,

Modify the two paragraphs of the Resolved section to read:

The GNSO Council will collect and organize a comprehensive set of policy
requirements for the Whois service policy tools that may need to be
supported such as tiered services and privacy protection.

Following the collection of policy requirements, the GNSO Council will
present those requirements to Staff and requests that based on those
requirements Staff, in consultation with the SSAC, provide an estimate
for delivery of a synthesis of necessary technical requirements for a
Whois service tool.

I would prefer that the Council be the ones, and are actually the best
ones, to identify the possible policy needs for a new Whois
tool/protocol. But given our current workload I did not include a
timeframe, but perhaps we could make it all, including Staff work, to be
done by Korea, I think Sydney is not reasonable at this point. It also
relieves the workload on Staff a bit. It also incorporates a related
recommendation from the IRTP-A WG so that we don't duplicate efforts (we
probably include within the possible policy requirements we gather).

I believe this all makes sense given that I believe the restructuring
should be our priority right now, and realization that new gTLD issues
are going to consume a lot of our time.

If accepted the amended motion would then read as follows:

Whereas there have been discussions for several years on the adequacy of
the current set of Whois tools to provide the necessary functions to
support existing and proposed Whois service policy requirements,

and, there have been questions as to the adequacy of these tools for use
in an IDN environment,

and, that there have been extensive discussions about the requirements
of the Whois service with respect to Registry and registrar operations,

and, new architectures and tools have been developed and suggested by
the technical community,

and, the GNSO accepted the recommendation of the IRT-A Working Group to
encourage staff to explore further assessment of whether IRIS would be a
viable option for the exchange of registrant email address data between
registrars and conduct an analysis of IRIS' costs, time of
implementation and appropriateness for IRTP purposes,

Resolved,