RE: [council] FW: Doodle IDNG call

Good points Avri.  Please see my comments below.

Chuck

Chuck: In fact, it is easier said than done most of the time, but the
principles at least give us some goals. Sometimes we can achieve all the
goals and sometimes we won't but some of the priniples are designed to
deal with cases where we cannot meet all the goals (e.g., alternating
meeting times so that the same people are not always negatively
impacted).

> E.g.  I would very much like to have council meeting be an
> hour long, and if we could more the schedule out to once a
> month, even better.

Chuck: I don't think we are at a point where resticting Council meetings
to an hour would work but meetings for other GNSO groups can often do
this.

> But there is much to discuss, and people do not tend to carry
> on discussions on the mailing list or any other medium.  Also
> we often have to approach topics more then once, because it
> takes a while to get all the constituency input.  So while I
> would like to schedule meetings with fewer topics or fewer
> status updates, it has proven difficult.
> (BTW I have thought of asking for all status to be written
> beforehand, but we would still need time for questions, and
> besides I have often felt that the amount of required reading
> also has limited tolerance.)
>
> One thing that I hope will help in time is if fewer council
> members need to be involved in the WG, and when have finished
> all of restructuring/"improvement" work.  But to shorten
> meetings, i firmly believe we need to resolve more issues on line.
>
> Also defining Ridiculous/unpleasant times may be more
> difficult then one may think.  Some council participants,
> e.g. have questioned holding meeting during the evening hours
> when it is time for dinner
> and family, while for others those are the perfect hours.
> And given
> the world spread, how may times do you count that meet the
> 12-5am barrier - i only see two.

Chuck: You are correct if we are talking about Council meetings for
which we have the five time zones represented in your attached World
Meeting Planner Results.  In fact, I think there are none if we are
talking about a 2-hour meeting.  But not all groups involve all five
time zones, so some may have more options.