Re: [council] IDN gTLD Fast Track discussion

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Edmon Chung <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] IDN gTLD Fast Track discussion
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 22:14:57 +0100
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Chuck.

If the issue is competitive advantage, then I don't understand the rationale
behind pursuing only one fast-track program, for a very specific category of
TLDs, and not others.

This would give IDN gTLDs a competitive advantage.

So in my view, the issue really is one of complication rather than
competitive advantage because, whatever the fast-track, if there is one then
by definition the applicants eligible for it are given a competitive
advantage or at least they get the possibility of an early start.

The reason why these fast-tracks are being looked into has more to do with
the idea that "simple" TLDs shouldn't be delayed by "complicated" ones as I
see it.

But I agree that at this point, you really need to have a clear measure of
what makes a "simple" TLD. One presumes it is a TLD which poses no real
validation issues, but how can you tell? There are some classes of TLDs that
do seem to fit this category, including GeoTLDs, but once again, specifics
are hard to define here.

Stéphane