Re: [council] Community Travel support Procedure for Mexico City

  • To: Carlos Affonso Pereira de Souza <caffsouza@xxxxxxxxx>, GNSO Council <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Community Travel support Procedure for Mexico City
  • From: Doug Brent <doug.brent@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 10:53:01 -0800
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Cc: Denise Michel <denise.michel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Carlos and Council,

Sorry. I thought the issue of budget allocation was discussed directly with
the travel committee and understood, and as noted before, I'd be happy to
discuss this with relevant counselors at any time. Short answer: we have not
identified a way to allocate a budget to a Supporting Organization or
Constituency. Let me explain.

As I've discussed with several people, my personal view is that often the
best decisions are made by the people closest to the work, so why not just
allocate a budget?

There is a balance point that makes this travel issue awkward since there is
no  clear chain of  fiduciary responsibility (in the corporate sense) at the
Supporting Organizations level. ICANN has a fiduciary responsibility to
establish a process for controlled allocation of expenditures under business
laws, particularly as a tax-exempt organization. There is no easy way to
implement what appears "obvious" - just give organizations a budget to
spend.

Financial controls are required to remain consistent with taxation rules for
businesses.  Resource allocation in all instances should follow pre-defined
controlled processes as a way to prove ICANN has control over the kinds of
business ills - including financial mismanagement and worse - that we read
about in the papers these days. That's why the community travel support
approach is essentially a pre-approved expense reimbursement plan.

I hope that provides some additional clarity behind the rationale, and would
Still like to see how we can put more flexibility into travel support while
maintaining appropriate controls this for next fiscal year. Perhaps a
meeting with the travel committee, including ICANN's CFO Kevin Wilson who
will be taking on this work on the staff side, and other interested
councilors in Mexico City would be a good next step.

Thanks,
Doug
--
Doug Brent