RE: [council] Regarding individual users

  • To: icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [council] Regarding individual users
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:11:37 -0700
  • Cc: "'Council GNSO'" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mike, I just meant to point out that part of Avri's comment was not
entirely accurate. Registrants have a huge choice of registrars and if
they don't like the policies of one they can choose another. But I agree
that this choice doesn't cover every issue (WHOIS for example).

Regarding WHOIS, registrars have basically been compromising when we say
it should just be left alone. I think if you actually query each
registrar individually you will come up with a majority wanting to make
it a completely opt-in service or something close to that. I doubt that
is what you're looking for. On the other end of the spectrum, to address
the vast number of registrants who want more privacy many registrars
have implemented privacy or proxy services.

The RRA issue went the way it did because there was a desire for some
signficant changes to address the issues raised by the Registerfly
debacle. The route taken was quicker than initiating multiple PDPs on
the issues. However, we just felt that some issues raised may be better
left to a PDP or to further discussions that could be more granular and
allow for more focus, more time, etc.

Tim