Re: [council] Making Council less crazy

Hi,

On 30 Sep 2008, at 14:06, Mike Rodenbaugh wrote:

I would just like to clarify that ICANN Staff's opinion of what is in scope of GNSO PDP is required by bylaws and certainly can be useful. But it is not necessarily the final word. GNSO's opinion ought to be of equal weight,

Currently the by-laws allow for either possibility, putting different voting thresholds on the initiation of the PDP in the different cases:

> 33% is adequate when the staff says it is within scope and a supermajority is required when they say it isn't. The problem gets more difficult when the determine of the Staff is partial, split or equivocal.

at least, but ultimately only the Board could make a decision if there was
disagreement between Staff and GNSO.

As I understand it the Board can order a PDP anytime it wants, whether in scope or not.

a.