[council] Trans -SO/AC meeting in Cairo

  • To: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Trans -SO/AC meeting in Cairo
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 09:40:38 +0300
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

One of the topics on yesterday's agenda was a proposal for a joint SO/ AC meeting on various topics in Cairo. Chris Disspain shared the message he was going to send to the ccNSO and I have decided that he says it all and have borrowed it (with permission):

Begin forwarded message:

“At the suggestion of Bertrand de La Chapelle, the Chairs of the ALAC, gNSO and ccNSO together with GAC representatives Bertrand and Manal Ismail and Bruce Tonkin on behalf of the Board, had a teleconference earlier this week.

The purpose was to explore how the ICANN Cairo meeting schedule could expand on the progress already made in Paris in terms of bringing the different SOs and ACs together on the major issues. The goal would be to develop trans-SO/AC communications and also facilitate general awareness within the community about the status of different issues and increase the visibility of them. Trans-SO/AC communications would not necessarily mean stopping the bilateral sessions, but may have the effect of making them shorter, more focused and less repetitive.

As a result of the call it is suggested that on the Monday in Cairo the ccNSO, gNSO, ALAC and GAC organise a half day joint session (open to members as well as councillors) to a) discuss progress, issues and future steps regarding new gTLDs (including IDNs) and IDN ccTLDs and b) to be briefed on the President’s Strategy Committee consultations on improving institutional confidence. It is also suggested that a further session on the Thursday might be appropriate to follow up and report on the individual SO/AC discussions on the topics following the Monday session.

Obviously, the logistics of all of this have yet to be organised but ICANN has agreed the principle and we need to confirm, by 12 September, that we want to do this so that the initial agenda can be published. I’d appreciate comment, questions and input from councillors on the suggestion as soon as possible.”

Please use the list to indicate your opinions on this and whether this is something the council should support.

thanks
a.