From: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Robin Gross
Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2008 9:34 AM
To: Olof Nordling
Cc: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [council] Notes from Council/staff meeting on new gTLDs

Hi Olof,

Thanks for these notes.   There were 2 points in the draft that I had concerns
with.

1.  Under the "Country, territory and place names" section it says:
"It is unclear whether GAC views should trump other views ..."

I don't remember hearing anyone at the meeting say GAC views should trump the
views of other stake-holders.  I don't think anyone suggested that ICANN should
no longer be led by the private sector and that anyone stakeholder should be
able to trump other stake-holders.  Who suggested this at the LA mtg?

2.  Also under the "Country, territory and place names" section, a point that I
made in LA is missing from these notes.  I stated that it was inappropriate to
use the Paris Convention to justify not permitting tlds with country names in
them since the Paris Convention regulates commercial speech ONLY - not ALL
speech.  So I think this point, which was made in the LA mtg, should be
included in the notes.  Thanks.

Best,
Robin