[council] Advance question for the 28 Feburary call

  • To: Rita Rodin <Rita.Rodin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Advance question for the 28 Feburary call
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:18:58 +0100
  • Cc: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

Due to an employment commitment with the IGF this week, I will not be able to attend the meeting with the council, but do plan to listen to the recording after the meeting. I am therefore directing my question to you by email, though I request that Chuck, who will chair that meeting, ask it of you at the proper time.

My question relates to the improvements casting the GNSO council, as a management body instead of a 'legislative body.' One of the concerns that I wrote of in the public comment period, has not really been alleviated by the last report. This concerns the distinction between policy management as an administrative function and policy management as a policy function. If I read the current proposal correctly, the council must pass on recommendations from Working Groups as long as they followed the (to be developed) process correctly - even if, in the consensus view of the council, the recommendation is a really bad idea. I think this relegates the GNSO council to a purely administrative body and not a policy body. At the very least, I believe the council should be able to reject a policy recommendation if there is a supermajority against it (same rules as apply to the Board vis a vis a GNSO council supermajority PDP decision). I would like to know your position regarding my concern.

Thanks

a.