[council] Clarification of a point in ccNSO letter to the Board

  • To: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Clarification of a point in ccNSO letter to the Board
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 06:30:30 +0100
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Begin forwarded message:

When the ccNSO says:

c) During the process the delegation of new TLDs would need to be
suspended to ensure
that TLDs are not created in circumstances that would be a breach of
the policy being
developed.

Is the ccNSO referring to all TLDs or just to IDN TLDs?  There has
been some question about this on the GNSO council list.  And while I
have stated that I believe the ccNSO meant all TLDs including non-IDN
gTLDs, I have not been able to say so with any authority.

[Chris Disspain] It's a step by step scenario. If 'policy' setting were limited to what is a ccTLD IDN and what is a gTLD IDN then, presumably one
would argue that only IDNs would need to be suspended. However, the
argument is that it cannot be done that way and that one would have to go to the basic question what is a ccTLD and what is a gTLD and on that basis
then all new TLDs would need to be suspended.