Re: [council] Enfranchising absent voters

  • To: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Enfranchising absent voters
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:07:56 +0100
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

While anything can be gamed, including absenting oneself right before the vote, I believe that the text is better as it stands.

I tried to think of a couple of ways of tightening it, e.g.

- absent as of the time the role call is taken - but people arrive late, and some have to leave early - absent when the agenda item first comes under discussion, but this is still subject to the condition above and, the person who can game it by leaving just before the vote cold also game it by leaving just before the discussion. which is a sense is even more counter productive.

and while it is true that people could game it, by coming to fewer meetings or by always leaving just before a critical vote, I think that this sort of behavior would:

a. be unlikely in anyone wiling to serve on the council
b. be noticed in such a way that some one would eventually take action

I think Philip's point in the his PS. is well taken, by and large, whenever someone has said, I need more time, or I need to consult, we have delayed the vote until the next meeting.

a.