[council] on GNSO travel funding

  • To: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [council] on GNSO travel funding
  • From: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 13:58:56 -0800
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There is another aspect to gnso council travel funding that we haven't quite touched upon: the need for the GNSO to be a fully funded organ within ICANN.

In some sense, the GNSO is supposed to act as a "check" against ICANN, the organization. We cannot allow the GNSO, the "bottom-up" policymaking arm, to be starved of resources while ICANN (the organization) grows in leaps and bounds.

I think a fundamental issue here is providing the GNSO with the resources that it needs to do its job within ICANN and thus ensure the "bottom-up" value is protected.

Robin