PDP Timing Re: [council] Proposed Resolution re Domain Tasting
It is true that the council has long ignored the timetables in the
PDP process, not so much out of wilfulness but out of a realisation
that while the processes could be followed, the proscribed timetables
were difficult to follow. This was pointed out in the LSE report, if
I remember correctly.
The entire process from the initial request for an issues report to
the production of a final report and the commencement of Council
deliberations takes 120 days (i have sketched out the process
below). There is, as far as I can tell no limit n how long those
council deliberations can take after the release of the Final Report,
tough I see no by-law provision for further process other then
deliberation after that 120 day period.
Having said that, I am willing to try and constrain the process to
the time table. And with Ross calling us to account on the by-laws,
we certainly must consider doing so as despite request for change in
the by-laws, we have not yet received any change in by-laws from the
Board not have we received any formal dispensation of the requirement
to follow the timetable as currently documented.
In that case we need to vote today to initiate both PDP proposals as
we are long beyond the 15 day mark for deciding on the initiation of
the PDP. For both PDP proposals we need to do the following:
- Get the report from Staff on the reports they have submitted.
- Hold a vote to initiate the PDP - 33% need to vote yes in order to
initiate the PDP
- if the vote succeeds then hold a majority vote on whether to form a
Task Force or not.
- if not, then we can consider forming a short term WG to assist in
the non TF option, but that working group will only have 35 days to
complete its work.
I will also have to work with staff to schedule council meetings so
that we can attempt to meet the strict timing requirements for
finishing the work and beginning deliberations.
A reminder of the timetable:
request for issues report
- release of the issues report
-vote on PDP
(unless the board has requested the PDP in which case there is no
- majority decision on Task Force or Committee of the whole
- Public announcement of PDP and commencement of public comment period
- if TF then constituency appointees to TF announced
- if TF finish preparation of charter
- if no TF then representative appointed from each constituency to
solicit constituency views
- if TF first meeting, elect TF chair
- if TF end of public comment period
- all information submitted to Staff Manager, including from ad-hoc
groups or working groups if they are formed to assist in the process.
- all consituency statement received
- if Task Force release of Preliminary Task Force report
- if TF final meeting of TF to vote on report
- if TF then release of Final Task Force Report
- if not TF then release of Initial Report
- begin public comment period
- end of public comment period
- final Report submitted to GNSO chair
- Council begins deliberation on final report
(the by-laws are not specific on how long the council may deliberate)
On 11 okt 2007, at 02.44, Ross Rader wrote:
presuming this goes down the PDP path, the council should attempt
to do so within the confines of the process outlined in the bylaws.