RE: [council] Proposed amendment to BCUC motion

  • To: <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Council GNSO" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Proposed amendment to BCUC motion
  • From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:39:25 -0700
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ross, you cannot honestly call this a 'proposed amendment' to our
motion.  It has nothing to do with our motion.

You are proposing that ICANN remove all existing contractual provisions
regarding WHOIS, on the basis that a consensus WHOIS policy has not been
achieved to date.  That is the first time I have ever heard someone
suggest that lack of consensus as to policy to change the status quo,
would lead to elimination of the status quo -- and thus in this matter,
elimination of an open and accessible WHOIS database.  I am quite
surprised to read such a proposal for the first time today, and
surprised that you did not even mention it for discussion on our GNSO
call today, nor in the past 7 years of debate as far as I know.

I recall you stating at our GNSO Council meeting that kicked off this
WG, that you would see lack of consensus as meaning we carry on with the
status quo.  Apparently your statements were disingenuous or your
thinking has changed dramatically since.  It now seems clear that your
long and hard battling on this issue has been designed to eliminate ANY
cost or obligation among registrars re WHOIS, rather than to mitigate
any 'increased' cost above the status quo, as you have so frequently
argued.

These contractual provisions have existed for a very long time, for very
good reasons, and should not be considered for potential elimination
without a PDP designed to analyze that potential outcome.  As far as I
know, it simply has never been proposed or discussed that we would
eliminate WHOIS altogether, so it would be ridiculous for Council to
consider that as an option now.

Mike Rodenbaugh