RE: [council] BC proposal re WHOIS

  • To: "Rosette, Kristina" <krosette@xxxxxxx>, Mike Rodenbaugh <mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, GNSO Council <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] BC proposal re WHOIS
  • From: Mawaki Chango <ki_chango@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:06:48 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Indeed, the Whois work may not be close to be finished... But
this is not necessarily to say the GNSO Council is not.

All the uses that you mention are recognized by all, even by the
NCUC. And since you mention the GAC Principles, they too
recognized those _uses_ as legitimate, but they also state that
that is not the Whois _purpose_ and that national laws must be
taken into account.

Now, maybe that is too much of responsibility for the GNSO
council, maybe there is a need for political decisions to be
made here, maybe it is time that governments proactively tackle
the issue, agree among themselves and decide whether a uniform,
global Whois policy is possible at all, and if so, with what
modalities, etc. and provide ICANN and the GNSO council a valid
and stable legal framework to work with. One thing for sure,
having ICANN require organizations by contract to break the law
in their jurisdiction is not a sustainable solution, not even
for the sake of hunting down delinquents and criminals.

If the initial and ultimate objective for the council work was
to develop a consensus policy, that obviously is not possible
under the present circumstances - we are not anywhere near to
come up with a consensus among not just the GNSO's, but the
Internet stakeholders. Maybe it's just time that we recognize
that.

Mawaki