RE: [council] BC proposal re WHOIS

  • To: "Mawaki Chango" <ki_chango@xxxxxxxxx>, "Mike Rodenbaugh" <mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "GNSO Council" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] BC proposal re WHOIS
  • From: "Rosette, Kristina" <krosette@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:56:28 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As an initial matter, the GAC Principles Regarding gTLD Whois Services
specifically recommend that information should be gathered "on gTLD
domain name registrations and registrants and how WHOIS data is used and
misused.  This information should be publicized and used to inform
future debate on this issue."

The GAC Chair specifically noted this recommendation in our joint
meetings in both Lisbon and San Juan.  To the best of my knowledge, we
have not acted on this recommendation.  I believe we have an obligation
to do so.  That action may be to undertake the study, as proposed in the
resolution below. That action may also be to reject the recommendation,
and provide our reasoning for doing so.   To simply ignore the
recommendation, which it appears to me that we have done thus far, seems
to me to be counterproductive to the long-term functionality of the
ICANN organizational structure.

Having said that, I don't believe we have the quantitative and
qualitative information that should be considered before making a
dramatic change in policy.  Indeed, the existence of the ad hoc group on
domain tasting demonstrates our recognition that such data is an
important input for policy considerations. Why is Whois any different?

To the best of my knowledge, we don't have data on the type of abuse and
the scale of abuse.  We also don't have data as to how often law
enforcement uses Whois data, how often the private sector uses it to
prevent and fight consumer harm caused by phishing and counterfeiting,
and how often the private sector uses it for other purposes such as
verifying "ownership" of a domain name (or, more often, a portfolio of
names) in connection with a business transaction such as a merger or
acquisition, for securitization of loans, for satisfying creditors of an
entity in bankruptcy, or simply to sell the name.  For example, it's a
safe bet that the domain auction at the recent Domain Roundtable would
not have produced nearly $ 3.8 million in sales (or any at all, for that
matter) if the purchasers could not verify in real-time that the
purported seller was actually the registrant.

Your other points are important ones and, in my view, the fact that
these questions exist means that we're not close to being finished.

Kristina