Re: [council] Council meetings and motions

Hi,

We have had occasions lately where we have crafted motion language during the meeting. This is what I am trying to avoid, though I expect we won't avoid it completely. As far as I know we do not have any by-law regulations concerning the council practice vis a vis motions, though we do have a rule that meetings must be announced 7 days in advance:.

X.3.8 ... Members entitled to cast a majority of the total number of votes of GNSO Council members then in office shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business, and acts by a majority vote of the GNSO Council members present at any meeting at which there is a quorum shall be acts of the GNSO Council, unless otherwise provided herein. (See Section 5(2) of this Article concerning the number of votes that GNSO Council members may cast.) Advance notice of such meetings shall be posted on the Website, if reasonably practicable, at least 7 days in advance of the meeting. ...

As you say, some topics will have already been vetted and councilors will feel free to vote, especially if the motion is on something less controversial or it is on a topic that is well known for being on the agenda - e.g. if someone wanted to make a motion regarding the new GTLD work or the Whois report. I do agree that having motions at least a week in advance is probably best, though I have also been told that one week is often not enough to get a constituency's ruling on a topic. I think that in all cases, if people aren't ready to vote on a motion we can postpone the vote on it until a future meeting, but at least we will know what we are talking about and have some advance look at the text of the motion being proposed.

thanks

a.