RE: [council] Point for Discussion

Hello Chuck,

> give a proxy to someone who would vote for a position that you would
> support, seems out of order to me if you have a conflict of interest.

Just as a point of information on past examples.   When the Council
provided advice to the Board on the criteria for the .net bid process,
several Council members - including myself chose not to vote due to
conflict of interest issues.  In fact it is possible that all registrar
reps did not vote.

In that case we gave the votes to one of the Council members appointed
by the Nominating Committee (Alick Wilson) with instructions to vote as
he saw fit.   At the time Alick did not indicate how he would vote in
advance.

In other situations I have seen votes given to the chair - to vote as
the chair sees fit.

The reason I raise this - was in this case there were multiple Council
members that did not vote due to possible conflict of interest issues.

This approach was discussed with the General Counsel at the time before
the meeting - but I can't recall which version of the bylaws we were
operating under at the time.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin