Re: [council] An issue or not an issue - that is the question

From my perspective, this level of detail is interesting, but doesn't properly credit the real point of the issues report, which is to identify the issues surrounding a specific policy question. Its my opinion that Council should only proceed with the process of creating an issues report if we believe that there are reasonable grounds that there is a policy question that needs an answer, that the timing is right to do so and that it would help the council better understand the what the landscape looks like in order that it might consider whether or not a full PDP is warranted.

I only voted in favor of the creation of the issues report on this basis. Based on the facts that I have come to understand, I do not believe that this specific issue merits a full PDP, but that it behooves us to understand the entire picture before we fully commit or defer.

Unless the issues report raises substantive new facts that I haven't considered, its not likely that I will vote in favor of moving ahead with a PDP on this particular policy question.

Gomes, Chuck wrote:
Philip,

I don't totally agree with you regarding the consideration of merits of
an issue when deciding whether to request an issues report.  You are
correct of course that the primary place for doing that is when we
decide whether to initiate a PDP, but if there is already established
work that indicates the merits of the issue are questionable, it is not
necessarily good use of ICANN staff resources to ask them to create an
issues report.  Regardless of how willing ICANN staff is to respond, the
reality of the matter is that their response sometimes means working
longer hours and/or delaying other tasks that has other fallout.

Chuck Gomes