RE: [council] Term of the next GNSO Council chair

  • To: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Term of the next GNSO Council chair
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 14:10:09 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Assuming that Council reps, with the exception of the NomComm
appointees, would be voting the wishes of their constituencies, it
doesn't seem to me to be terribly significant whether the election
occurs with newly elected reps or previous reps.  One factor that may
matter though is knowing the available candidates for chair; several
terms will expire so, unless reps holding those seats are re-elected or
reappointed, they may not be eligible for chair.  That in my opinion is
the more important reason for holding the regular election after the
ICANN annual meeting.  And if we do that, it probably would be a good
idea to allow enough time after the annual meeting for a full nomination
and election cycle.  If we do that, then it might make sense to elect an
interim chair (and possibly vice chairs if we so decide) through about
February or whatever time is needed to complete a regular election.

Chuck Gomes