FW: [council] RN-WG SoW

  • To: "GNSO Council" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: FW: [council] RN-WG SoW
  • From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:18:10 -0700
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I move to change the SoW objective re ICANN/IANA names from "Maintain
status quo for now regarding ASCII names" to 'explore basis for current
reservation, and whether to continue it.'

Staff said months ago, during the initial WG session, that they were
looking into any basis for this reservation.  I strongly suspect there
is no other basis than potential user confusion, aka brand protection.
There has been plenty of time to come up with other reasons, and now 30
days more.  The WG and Council should consider whether to continue it in
newTLD contracts.

Mike Rodenbaugh

Sr. Legal Director

Yahoo! Inc.