        From: Sophia B [mailto:sophiabekele@xxxxxxxxx]
        Sent: Wednesday, 28 February 2007 2:04 PM
        To: Bruce Tonkin; council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx
        Subject: URG: Re: [council] Regarding working group membership

        Dear Bruce,

        The issue of 'including people' in the IDN-WG was again raised
at our WG meeting today, alongside the topic of making a mandatory
procedure to submit statement of interest to support the standardization
of WG procedures across the board.   I presume it is within the same
principle and spirit that we agreed to get people on board of all WGs as
'observers', i.e recent additions to the RN-WG etc.., also as an interim
criteria, until perhaps one identifies a suitable constituency on GNSO
or at an ICANN SO level.

        Towards this end, I am still puzzled that the current issue we
are having (procedural block) towards the IDN-WG, seem to be treated as
an isolated incident to be addressed at the GNSO council level,contrary
to the RN-WG which was determined by the Chair.

        Having said that, amongst the person that was vocal today, in
giving this issue of procedural block, an urgent attention was also
Marilyn Cade, who in the past has been very supportive when I insisted
on the formation of WG consising of experts outside GNSO to support t he
policy dialog of IDNs.

        Therefore, in the interest of the decision we will be making at
the council level and hopefully resolve at the next council meeting, I
thought it would be fair to share with the whole council the recent
letter of complaint we have received, viz IDN "excluded" group, and also
isolate that the issue of exclusion is NOT to be necessarily recollected
from complaints back in Sau Paulo.

        Finally, I do not claim to represent any constituency, as I am
nomcom appontee.  However, I do feel the interest of these groups below,
that were forthcoming in writing a letter to you and coping some of us,
represent only a fraction of the larger 'IDN interest groups' that have
been marginilized in the ICANN participation process; which has led me
to treat them like a  virtual IDN constituancy group, but one without a
voice.

        As such, it would be proper to heed the point that we should not
be making the same mistake of marginalizing the same group in our POLICY
making process, as the outcome of the work of the WG would not be
considered a legitimate and fair process, if we continue with isolating
and/or delaying the process.    I have always believed justice delayed
is justice denied.

        I wish to also copy this to the IDN-WG for FYI.

        Thank you Bruce for expediting this process.  I therefore ask
kindly that this issue be put in the agenda in our next council meeting
for the council decision.

        Sophia
        GNSO Councilor, NomCom
        On 24/02/07, Bruce Tonkin < Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > wrote:

                Hello Sophia,
                >>>    May I inform the above group from Russia and Iran
as well as
                others to refer to the above
                >>     for joining the IDN WG?
                Lets just wait for a few days to see if there are any
changes requested
                by Council members.
                Regards,
                Bruce

                TWO LETTERS Of COMPLAINT TO BRUCE TONKIN (Chair GNSo
Council):