Re: [council] reserved names work plan

  • To: Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] reserved names work plan
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:37:43 -0500
  • Cc: "'GNSO Council'" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree with Chuck.

We don't know what the work is or whether we or not we will be engaging in that work. I do appreciate the support we get from Liz - she has been very instrumental in helping us move the ball forward over the past year and a bit (especially in instances where we haven't been so inclined to move), but there is also a natural ordering to events - the first of which includes us deciding whether or not we are going to proceed, and if so, what work we are going to proceed with.

Philip Sheppard wrote:
re Chuck wrote: "I think it is premature to be recommending how work should be
done".
---------------------------------
Is it not about time that we as Council started trusting the staff (whom we
asked for so
long to have) and respond favourably to useful recommendations?
As someone who works for a secretariat I make work plan recommendations all the
time and my
members - some of the top companies in the world - expect no less.

Surely we want staff to guide us, steer us and help move things forward?
Then the WGs and PDPs decide on the actual policy (and are at liberty to
overturn a staff
recommendation).

I for one like to see paid full time professionals be allowed to do their job.

Philip