Re: [council] Draft Statement of Work for Sunrise Working Group

Hi,

Some initial comments/questions:

Re Proposed Purpose. The purpose as written presupposes that sunrise policies and processes are a good thing and we merely have to determine if they are as good as they should be. The purpose of the working group should also include the need to determine whether sunrise policies and processes have a negative or positive effect on the network.

Re Requirements for sunrise policies and processes; We should analyze the problem that sunrise policies are meant to solve. And before deciding that sunrise policies are the answer to these requirements analyze both the positive and negative effects of sunrise policies and processes.

Re 1 - we also need to analyze the negative effects, actual and theoretical, of sunrise policies.

re II: we should not only measure the happiness of the users of these processes but also the effect on the Internet in general. E.g. o these policies interfere with competition by giving global monopolistic control to words and their variants to trademark claimants?

This especially concerns me once we get to IDN's. what will be the impact of sunrise in IDN 'equivalents'. We need to determine the relation of transliteration and translation and applicable national regulations to the use of sunrise policies/processes to capture and control local language markets.

In terms of membership I reiterate my comment about outreach. I would like to see someone from Creative Commons or some other similar viewed organization included as well as strong language community representation. Also, to reiterate one of my normal remark, I would like to make sure that nomcom appointees are not excluded from the WG. Then again, I favor a larrger working group to accommodate many points of view and widespread discussion.

thanks
a.