[council] Statement on WHOIS from a group of registrars
- To: "Council GNSO" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [council] Statement on WHOIS from a group of registrars
- From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 19:49:05 +1000
- Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Thread-index: AcaaEXEI7kve3n9DQWuRxyrKsvzxywABRpFOAB8VwSkAAOhmNAAARoTA
- Thread-topic: Statement on WHOIS from a group of registrars
The statement below is a work in progress and is not yet an official
registrars constituency statement, however the undersigned registrars
have supported this statement. These registrars manage a substantial
majority of WHOIS records for gTLDs.
Discussion on this topic is publicly archived on the registrars mailing
We the undersigned registrars wish to confirm that we will continue to
collect the data (commonly called WHOIS data) as required by the
registrar accreditation agreement (all of which is currently displayed
to the general public), and will continue to provide access to such data
by law enforcement, intellectual property, ISPs, and others through
appropriate processes. Registrars are open to improve those processes
for more efficient access by legitimate users.
Registrars store this information for the lifetime of their agreement
with ICANN plus an additional 3 years.
Registrars also note that other useful data such as the IP (Internet
Protocol) address used by a registrant when registering a domain name
and credit card information is also stored. This information is also
available for law enforcement access through appropriate processes.
Registrars continue to support privacy protection for the Personal Data
of natural persons.
List of supporters as of 9:30 AM Wednesday (6/28):
Domain The Net
Stargate Holdings Corp
NOTE: * registrars only endorsed the original version. Support for the
current draft is assumed