[council] Call for nominations for ICANN Board seat 14 open 16 April 00:00UTC - closed 6 May 17:00 UTC

  • To: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [council] Call for nominations for ICANN Board seat 14 open 16 April 00:00UTC - closed 6 May 17:00 UTC
  • From: "GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 23:10:50 +0200
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[To: council[at]gnso.icann.org]

Dear Council Members,

Please note that the call for nominations by members of the GNSO Council for candidates to stand for for ICANN Board Seat 14 is now formally open, Sunday 16 April 2006 at 00:00 UTC and will run until Saturday 6 May 2006 at 17:00 UTC

Please refer to
http://gnso.icann.org/announcements/announcement-16apr06.htm
Nomination Template

I would like to remind you of Bruce Tonkin's posting to the council list:

Hello All,

In addition to the generic criteria in the ICANN bylaws, here are some
additional specific criteria that I personally think is relevant for the
GNSO to consider.  I would be interested in the thoughts from Council
members on this list.

Here are my thoughts on additional criteria:

- experience at corporate governance (ie Board experience)

- willingness to coordinate closely with the GNSO Council and GNSO
constituencies
(e.g advise Council of upcoming agenda items, seek views etc.  I
recognise that a Board director must act in the best interests of ICANN
as a whole, but I expect that a Board member elected by the GNSO would
take advantage of the knowledge and contacts within the GNSO to be well
informed on matters before making a decision)

- basic knowledge of domain name industry
E.g registries, registrars, resellers (ISPs, telcos, web hosting),
registrants (individual, domainer, SME, corporate)

- basic commercial acumen
(ie can understand the commercial implications of decisions such as the
recent change to the .com agreement)

- good communicator/listener
(willing to listen to a wide range of views within the GNSO, and have
the ability to communicate concerns about a particular issue)

- minimal potential conflicts of interest
(any potential conflicts of interest should be clearly understood - e.g
a few well known sources of funding from members of the ICANN community
- such as a single employer, or a consultant for a few publicly
announced organisations within the ICANN community)

Note that I don't expect that a candidate would meet all these criteria
- but I hope that the criteria above may stimulate some thinking about
good candidates.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin
Registrars rep on GNSO Council