Re: [council] Regarding web conferencing tool that was trialed during the call

  • To: "Cary Karp" <ck@nic.museum>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Regarding web conferencing tool that was trialed during the call
  • From: "Sophia B" <sophiabekele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:08:22 +0200
  • Cc: "GNSO Council" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear All,

> I also support learning by doing.
> Many of these services nominally offer similar functions, so it is only
> ever going to be by use that we learn.
> I think the Mac issue is an important one. However I  suspect the service
> is not platform
> limited despite its pedigree.
>

> I am not prepared to migrate to a MicroSoft working environment. Given
> > the range of candidate solutions to our need that are truly
> > cross-platform, I hope we'll do a bit more looking around before
> > committing to an inflexible alternative.

We all have been in technology environment and have seen vraious
implementation styles as above.  However, I find it counterproductive to
read through all this.

I am not sure how productive test trails of 25 products will be either, even
10 and sharing it with us, i.e shrinko whatever....certainly I was hoping
that we focus on important issues of policy during council time, than gadget
test trails.

My suggestion, although I came across strong, was to find closure for some
of the the admin matters to be discussed seriously at ONE point (as Bruce
has said...folks have discussed it for several years...), b y
assigning interested volunteers
to champion issues, in this case Ross, and suggest what is best for us.  At
a minimum, we can provide input to the point person, but at least it is on
on our face at every meeting.

Given that we do the same for other admin matter, i.e wesite etc..I hope we
all do not get to experiment the same way!  I am hoping that the council
time is not allocated as technical trail lab to improve our learning curves.

I certainly could be spared, as I have limited time for such experiment or
reading GNSO lists for outcome of every experiment and wait for the subject
line to read  "Final 3 web conferencing choices" .

Bruce suggested current trail for expediency's sake, and do not think it was
his intention to keep experimenting at the cost of Council time.
Sophia