Re: [council] Regarding web conferencing tool that was trialed during the call

  • To: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [council] Regarding web conferencing tool that was trialed during the call
  • From: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 16:04:48 -0700
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I wasn't able to use the Net system since I'm on a MAC and there didn't seem to be an option for my operating system.

Robin

Bruce Tonkin wrote:

Hello Marilyn,

I found the Net meeting support helpful. However, I note that it is really a tool for the use of the staff and chair, to provide documents, and to show editing on line while we meet.

That was how it was used during the call, as we were just learning how
to use the software tools.

I am not objecting to that but have a question. Let's say, hypothetically, Bruce wanted to turn to two councilors and ask that they draft something online in terms of language... can those councilors be "given the pen"?

Yes.
I tried to post a "note" and wasn't able to do that. I thought that was a feature. That would allow councilors to self queue, for example.

There are a few features that could probably be used here.

For example, it is possible to ask the presenter a question, and the
question is queued.  That could probably match the requirement you
describe.

E.g the Question could be: "Marilyn to speak please".   I can respond
with "Go Ahead".  This can be displayed to all people in general.

Alternatively with staff support - it is possible that the function of
managing the queue could be delegated to a staff person, that could
enter the names of those in the queue and display that information.   It
was helpful in Wellington for example, when Liz Williams kept track of
the queue.

I think these types of tools can be quite powerful - but there is a
learning curve to get used to any tool.

What do we pay for Netmeeting, Glen? I'm wondering if it is a tool that we can trial for use in the TFs as well.

I think we can certainly trial at the task force level.  Olof, Glen, and
I spent about an hour experimenting with the tool prior to the call.

We probably need to get a few people "up-to-speed" with such a tool, and
then run some general tutorials for Council/task force members that are
separate from our normal meetings - so that we can run through the
features - and document how to use the features in our context.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin