Re: [council] Compromise wording on WHOIS

  • Subject: Re: [council] Compromise wording on WHOIS
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 08:08:54 -0400
  • Cc: GNSO Council <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Philip -
>
> Some further thoughts...
>
> It is worth pointing out that under this proposal, a registrar could not
> use the data collected to;

I've been asked why Philip's proposal will prevent registrars from engaging in the tasks I outlined earlier. This is due to the fact that most data privacy regulation prevents the use of data for purposes other than which it was collected.

Therefore under this proposal a registrar would be faced with three choices;

a) perpetual non-compliance with ICANN consensus policy,
b) ignoring local regulation
c) remove and add terms to the purpose of data collection to make it consistent with the realities of running a business.

None is optimal. Most registrars would immediately apply for exemption of this policy under the conflict with national laws policy that we recently endorsed. Does this make sense? We should be seeking to craft policy that is broadly applicable as possible. c) is even less of a solution because this would replicate the current status quo. In other words, Philip's proposal may as well just simply read;

"gTLD Registrars may state whatever they want in terms of the purpose for which the data that populates the gTLD Whois service."

Which leads me to ask - if the proposal simply replicates the status quo, then why would we need to adopt it as policy?

The answer is that we don't. Instead, we should focus on the motion before us, which is to recommend that the TF adopt formulation #1 as the definition necessary to guide their work.

-r