RE: [council] Proposed ICANN Board Call for the Remainder of the Year

  • To: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Proposed ICANN Board Call for the Remainder of the Year
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:34:30 -0500
  • Cc: <meetings-comm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Marilyn,

In connection with the scheduling of the 4th quarter regional meeting,
the local host ran into scheduling problems. After the Meeting Committee
approved a list of three venues that were suitable for ICANN's needs,
the local host then went back and tried to find an available block of
time. There were difficulties in scheduling this meeting as the exact
location of the IETF meeting had not been set. After navigating limited
time blocks during a busy holiday season the local host was able to
return with a proposed date of Dec 3-8th. The Meeting Committee has
recently approved this date (Dec 3-8) and venue (San Paulo, Brazil).
However, any final decision needs to be made by the full board. That is
currently scheduled to be an action item during our next teleconference
scheduled for 21-Feb-2006.

As my original email to the council list stated, these were tentative
times. Although I appreciate the need for advance notice, ICANN is in
large part dependent upon the local host who bear a major financial
burden in connection with these meetings. Thus ICANN needs to be
accommodating to the hard effort that the local hosts undertake in
scheduling these meetings. I am sure Tony remembers all to well the Mar
del Plata meeting :-)

Let me know if there is anyway I could be of additional assistance.
Based upon the recommendation of the Meeting Committee, I discussed with
Kurt this evening updating the ICANN web site in advance of the full
vote. Although this may be premature, given the little options available
for an alternate site, and the need for other events to schedule around
ICANN I thought that was the most prudent move.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Michael D. Palage