RE: [council] Proposed ICANN Board Call for the Remainder of the Year

  • To: "'Michael D. Palage'" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>, <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Proposed ICANN Board Call for the Remainder of the Year
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 18:03:30 -0500
  • Cc: "'Diane Schroeder'" <schroeder@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Kurt Pritz'" <pritz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Mike

Thanks so much for this.

As an aside, most of the Council knows that I am very actively engaged in
participating with, and representing industry at the upcoming consultation
on the IGF [Internet Governance Forum]. I believe that Avri, Ken, and Tony
will be in Geneva as well -- perhaps others?  Of course, we are not
attending as councilors, but as part of the "day job" stuff we all do.

I am concerned that the ICANN web site still shows the annual meeting for
ICANN in October. I'm having significant problems in the discussions with
the IGF "followers" including governments who are relying on the ICANN web
site for the factual information about when the meeting is.

We are debating when the IGF can be held, and I've been caught now several
times in a situation where the governments I'm trying to work with to ensure
an IGF that isn't about ICANN, but about the other issues w/out a home, so
to speak, are telling me that they rely on the ICANN posted dates. My latest
little episode was the last three days I spent at the ITU meetings where I
was constantly correcting misunderstandings about when the ICANN meeting is.

Important to have the dates corrected as soon as possible. In the meantime,
getting this verification of when the Board will meet was exceptionally
helpful.

Regards,

Marilyn