RE: [council] Regarding proxies

  • To: "'Bruce Tonkin'" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Regarding proxies
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 21:34:44 -0500
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks, Bruce.

While I appreciate asking the GC of ICANN for his views, I also think that
the Council should establish its policy regarding proxies, and propose any
needed amendments to the bylaws. And we should of course, seek ICANN counsel
advice.

Otherwise, we will find Councilors reluctant to allow votes/meetings when
they are physically unavailable. Since most councilors from constituencies
are "required" to vote the views of their constituency -- most, but not all
-- it is probably reasonable that the constituencies will want to exercise
proxy, even if a councilor is unavoidably unavailable.

I have personally missed only a few meetings -- usually when in the air for
international travel... but some absences are unavoidable... and should not
penalize the constituency.

We are not the Board. We are a collection of Constituencies... that means
that our circumstances are unique.

Finally, I am not sure that I accept an explanation that a councilor doesn't
have to transfer proxy because he is voting the constituency's views ... a
councilor may still have a conflicting interest... regardless.....this needs
to be declared... and I personally want to have clarification of whether
proxy can be passed, when a councilor is conflicted, with direction or has
to be passed neutrally, and to a neutral party.

But we don't need to debate this on this email... instead,  that is the
discussion yet to come, as the council discusses these issues. No need to
look backward, but perhaps this is a topic for Wellington -- and a topic
that the GC himself will want to dialogue with the Council about. . . . And
perhaps we could invite the Board committee itself to join us for this
discussion?

Finally, perhaps we might task all councilors to bring in examples of how
conflicts are handled, not only hearing how CIRA, but also ISOC how they
address, if they do, and ask other entities, like InternetNZ, RIPE NCC,
CENTR, etc. for ideas, and experiences. Given our host is InternetNZ, we
could invite Keith Davidson, the ExeDir to talk to us about their approach,
in person, in Wellington. I confess to knowing about it... from my
colleague, Grant Forsyth, who is a counselor, but he should describe... as
the expert...

Marilyn