[council] Regarding proxies

  • To: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Regarding proxies
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 11:11:00 +1100
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Marilyn,

> I know that some of the new Councillors may find the proxy use
> confusing.
> Glen, could you perhaps write out a short description of how
> proxies are used, based on our past history, and Bruce might
> review it?

For information, I have also requested some advice from the ICANN
General Counsel's office with respect to our current use of proxies.

The bylaws don't make explicit mention of proxies.

(the relevant section of the bylaws is Article X, section 3, clause 8:
"Members entitled to cast a majority of the total number of votes of
GNSO Council members then in office shall constitute a quorum for the
transaction of business, and acts by a majority vote of the GNSO Council
members present at any meeting at which there is a quorum shall be acts
of the GNSO Council"

I can't find a specific reference to proxies within the ICANN bylaws,
but there is mention in our current operating procedures, which can be
found at:
http://www.gnso.icann.org/council/names-proceduresv7.shtml#5

I am seeking clarification on whether proxies count with respect to
establishing quorum or for voting during a meeting.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin