Re: [council] GNSO Issues Report: .COM Agreement

  • To: Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] GNSO Issues Report: .COM Agreement
  • From: Sophia B <sophiabekele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 11:05:01 -0800
  • Cc: GNSO Council <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear All,

I am in agreement with some of the opinions and facts rendered below by
Phillip and prior comments from the Council on the 'issues report'.

I have read it and found it to be a bit contrived, as the GC is applying
the PDP scope article, as an argument to fend off the proposed GNSO request
for the report.  I believe the important issues that need to be addressed
have been overlooked as a result.

I believe there is room for proceeding with the a PDP.
Sophia

On 06/02/06, Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx> wrote:

> *Council,*
> *A few personal reflections on the GC's advice to us.*
> The issues report on dot com contains general counsel's (GC) advice on
> scope. The GC concludes we are out of scope but I find the reasoning
> overly narrow.
>
> The GC considered the PDP scope article:
> "1. is within the scope of ICANN's mission statement;
> 2. is broadly applicable to multiple situations or organizations;
> 3. is likely to have lasting value or applicability, albeit with the need
> for
> occasional updates;
> 4. will establish a guide or framework for future decision-making; or
> 5. implicates or affects an existing ICANN policy."
>
> And the GC states:
> "a) any such issues resulting from this request are specifically targeting
> the 2005 Proposed .COM Registry Agreement, and therefore such policies do
> not apply to multiple situations or organizations";

Surely illogical. The essence of the GNSO concern is that GNSO consensus
policy which is "broadly applicable to multiple situations or organisations"
has been REMOVED from the specific proposed agreement.

 -

--
Sophia Bekele
Voice/Fax: 925-935-1598