[council] Re: Regarding issues report on IDNs

  • To: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [council] Re: Regarding issues report on IDNs
  • From: Cary Karp <ck@nic.museum>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 23:27:05 +0100
  • Cc: John C Klensin <klensin@xxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

as it is a bit late in Cary's time zone I thought I would offer

Late but not that late :-)

I was also not aware that John was involved in the 'testbed'
scenario until I saw the attachment you sent, based on some of his responses
in the Council meeting.  Would he be working on that with you.

The testbed issues were discussed in some detail during the IDN workshop in Vancouver. In particular, you should take a look at
http://www.icann.org/announcements/proposal-dname-equivalence-mapping-tld-12dec05.pdf
There was quite a bit of further informal discussion about how to proceed elsewhere during the meeting.

John drafted his memo to focus all this into a concrete proposal. It is otherwise rather difficult to answer your last question. A number of people are in regular contact about a range of issues relating to IDN and discuss various gestational texts with some intensity. John and I are in frequent touch both in those contexts and directly with each other. The testbed text is typical for the kind of thing we discuss but John is its sole author.

/Cary