Re: [council] Conflicts of Interest

Sophia, all,

not being familiar with the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (which seems to be some
US legislation with no relevance in Germany) I find it very hard to
judge whether it would be worthwile to consider them for adoption. From
my point of view a declaration of interest of each councilor paired with
the knowledge of what Constituency they represent should achieve a level
of transparency adequate to judge and understand the varios argumentations.
Being all representatives of interest groups that is probably as objective
as it can get. Thought of the limited resources we have I would rather
use them for the tasks we have already on our agenda (at least for the
time being).

Best,

tom

--

Thomas Keller

Domain Services
Schlund + Partner AG
Brauerstrasse 48                        Tel. +49-721-91374-534
76135 Karlsruhe, Germany                Fax  +49-721-91374-215
http://www.schlund.de                   tom@xxxxxxxxxx

Am 23.01.2006 schrieb Sophia B:
> Maria,
>
> My previous  clarificatiion to Marilyn: Thanks.
> -------------------
>
>  Marilyn,
>
> Your intrigue is well taken.  You are right in that the Sarbanes-Oxley Act
> (SOX)  and was passed by Congress in 2002.  It also  affects publicly-traded
> companies.  However, the spate of recent problems in non-profit
> organizations has led to legislative proposals to extend the provisions of
> SOX to non-profits.    The two areas of SOX applicable to nonprofits are the
> rules relating to document destruction and whistle-blower protection.
>
> In any case, my reference to SOX was purely to disclose my experience in
> working in areas that we are currently dealing with i,e COI, transparency
> etc... it is not to suggest the adaption of SOX within ICANN at all,  and
> I agree it is very cumbersome, if we adapt it.   Although at a high level,
> we should be looking at SOX from the perspective of future compliance.  As I
> mentioned above, SOX for non-profit would be a future mandate.  Also see
> this link below just to give you an idea as to where SOX is at for
> non-profits.
> http://www.usaid.gov/our_work/cross-cutting_programs/private_voluntary_cooperation/conf_budak.pdf#search='sarbanesoxley%20for%20nonprofits'
>

> Regarding our immediate concern of 'statement of interest', the policy
> definition of SOX would also NOT be out of scope, but may not directly apply
> to this particular subject.  I am sort of intrigued on how we can implement
> a transparent policy, where the organization's structure is made of
> 'interested parties'.  That is a perplexing problem and I shall be thinking
> about that.
>
> As for my consulting business, it is not subject to SOX, since it is a
> private company, but most of the work we are currently doing in the US is
> providing consultancy in this area.   Therefore, I maybe wearing my SOX most
> of the time.  Certainly for ICANN, we are not there yet.
>
> I hope I have clarified myself.
>
> Sophia
>
> On 23/01/06, Maria Farrell <maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > All,
> >
> > Just my two cents; my understanding of Sarbanes Oxley is that it is only
> > applicable to publicly listed companies listed in the US. I could be wrong,
> > of course, and will check that out.
> >
> > The policy staff is meeting early this week to assess and coordinate our
> > current workloads.  But, as always, we will prioritise according to
> > Council's set priorities and support the work that Council wants done.
> >
> > all the best, Maria

Gruss,

tom

(__)
(OO)_____
(oo)    /|\     A cow is not entirely full of
  | |--/ | *    milk some of it is hamburger!
  w w w  w