Re: [council] Ad promotion of Call for Papers on new gTLDs

in order to promote the Call for Papers to an audience beyond the
faithful readers of the ICANN website, we are placing ads in international
press, due to be published on Friday this week.

At least in the academic frame of reference (is there any other where papers are an established production format?) the incentive to respond to a formal call for papers depends directly on the attractiveness of the publication venue. Being read aloud during a telephone conference with a dozen or so participants is probably not going to be regarded as a sufficiently compelling mode of presentation by many people lacking prior familiarity with the GNSO Council and the way ICANN does things.

At the very least, I hope you are advertising the fact that a lasting audio record of the meeting at which the things will be read will be made public. It isn't clear to me on the basis of the previous description of this action that it is your intention for the authors to read their own papers. It might also be a good idea not to leave any margin for misinterpretation of this in the ads.

/Cary