RE: [council] Draft resolution Verisign for Council 2 Dec

  • To: <Niklas_Lagergren@xxxxxxxx>, <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>, <owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <council@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Draft resolution Verisign for Council 2 Dec
  • From: <tony.ar.holmes@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 02:44:41 -0000
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Niklas/All

Whilst the ISPCP didn't formally discuss the resolution during our constituency
meeting we did update our statement on the VeriSign issue and will be posting
this shortly. However it appears appropriate to make you aware that the ISPCP
share the BC view that no decision should be made by the Board prior to the
Wellington meeting. Discussion across the past few days has emphasised the
serious level of concern over this proposal, and its our view that ICANNs duty
is to the whole community, which means they must never give way to pressure
that results in a bad deal being signed because of time constraints.

No deal is preferable to a bad deal, and its vital that adequate time is
allowed to ensure this one results in benefits to the broad community. It would
also provide an additional opportunity to progress this issue with full
community involvement.

Tony