RE: [council] Re: [registrars] Regarding transition to market forces

  • To: <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Bruce Tonkin'" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Re: [registrars] Regarding transition to market forces
  • From: "Alick Wilson" <alick.wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:46:00 +1300
  • Cc: <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx>, <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, <vint@xxxxxxxxxx>, <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi All

I am sympathetic to Ross's views.

As you all know, I am a GNSO Councilor appointed by the Nominating
Committee. My only vested interest in this is an end-user of the Internet.

The position of Verisign in respect to .COM in particular and extended by
the addition of .NET is very similar to that of monopoly or dominant telcos.
This gives an indication of the likely behaviour of a monopoly registry with
the most preferred gTLDs. It follows then that we may see unjustified
increases in pricing for existing services and unreasonably high pricing for
new services.

I would like to see some mechanism whereby ICANN can call a monopoly or
dominant registry to account. While it is by no means perfect, pricing and
service obligations placed upon monopoly telcos provide examples of a
minimum base point.

Alick