[council] CANCELLED - GAC WHOIS workshop in Vancouver

  • To: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] CANCELLED - GAC WHOIS workshop in Vancouver
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 14:52:29 +1100
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----
From: Suzanne Sene
Sent: Tuesday, 8 November 2005 3:06 AM
Subject: proposed gac whois workshop for vancouver -- update/status

hello everyone, it is with some regret that i share with you a decision
that because the preparations from the gac side for the vancouver
session have yielded too few speakers/perspectives, we think it is
necessary to defer the session until a later meeting.  i certainly
appreciate all the efforts of the gnso, particularly steve metalitz, to
reach out to industry and identify three speakers, and am confident we
would have had cctld reps available as well.

however, on our side, we have been unable to identify a sufficient
number of government speakers to meet the original objective of the
session, which was to flesh out the public policy concerns/uses of whois
data in the areas of consumer, privacy and ip protection.

again, i thank you all for your help in identifying private sector
speakers for the whois session, and hope we can return to this in the
very near term.  the gac gnso working group will take the issue up
during its meeting in vancouver, on Monday nov. 28, and i'll be happy to
provide you all with an update shortly thereafter.

best regards, suz.

Suzanne R. Sene
Senior Policy Advisor
NTIA/OIA