[council] Strategic Plan Point

  • To: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Strategic Plan Point
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:06:10 -0400
  • Cc: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

We got into detail on 2 out of 3 of the points I was concerend with, ie. internationalization and adequate representation of all the stakeholders in the decision making bodies of ICANN. A third point I mentioned is that ICANN needs to review and perhaps strengthen its notions of corporate/organizational governance. I wanted to make sure this did not get lost in the other discussions we had.

By this I mean that we need to discuss whether there is a need for a formal external audit process, that regularly reviews not only the financial aspects of ICANN but reviews ICANN's adherence to its own principles. We have some of this, but it seems to me at this point to be fairly ad hoc and that there is no obligation on when this is done or how reports must be treated.

I also think the strategic review needs to look at the appeals mechanisms available to those who believe their rights or concerns vis a vis ICANN, and its process, have been damaged. I.e. is the internal ombudsman process adequate or should a mechanism/process for external binding appeal be discussed and perhaps created. I don't want to get into a discussion of those mechanisms at the moment (though I have my opinions), but think the topic should be a line item in the strategic discussions.

thanks
a.